Divorce Articles - Florida Law
Top 5 Things to know about High-Asset Divorces
By David Roberts | Family Law Attorney
Posted on October 1, 2016
Divorces can be painful and highly stressful, especially when the stakes are higher due to the value of assets between the couple. If you find yourself going through a high-asset divorce, here are a few things to keep in mind during the process:
- Choose your battles.
When it comes to divorces, things can get messy. Make sure you are not constantly fighting with your partner about your assets, or anything else for that matter. Keep a cool head, and let your attorney fight for you.
- Don’t lie.
This seems like an obvious tip, but you would be surprised at how many people try to hide how much money they really have. Do not misrepresent the assets you have. Be truthful with your attorney. If you are deceptive with your assets, it will be discovered and will cause more trouble than it‘s worth.
- Be wary of social media.
It’s best to stay away from all types of social media when it comes to divorce cases. Even if a post is only to inform friends and family, anything you say can be used against you in court. You wouldn’t want to accidentally be misrepresented. So for now, twitter can wait.
- Choose the right person to represent you.
Your divorce attorney needs to know all the ins and outs of your situation both financially and emotionally. The more they can understand you, the better they can fight for you and your assets. Part of choosing the right attorney means being able to trust them.
- Organize your documents
In order to help your attorney understand the entirety of your case, it’s important that you document everything, and keep those documents organized. The more they have to work with, the easier your job will become. So when in doubt, save and organize your documents.
If you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of a high-asset divorce, or any divorce for that matter, you can trust the attorneys at The Roberts Family Law Firm. If you have any questions, or would like to schedule a consultation with an experienced family lawyer, call The Roberts Family Law Firm today at (407) 426-6999. or fill out the online form provided on this page and we will contact you shortly.
David T. Roberts
Orlando Divorce Attorney
- How to Talk to Your Kids About Divorce
- How much does it cost to file for divorce? Do court costs and filing fees differ in contested and uncontested divorce cases?
- Must I hire an attorney to represent me in my divorce case?
- Can I relocate with my children out of state before or during a divorce?
- More Divorce FAQs...
- How Social Media Can Lead to Divorce
- 10 Questions You Should Ask your Divorce Attorney
- Temporary Orders in Divorce Cases
- How Long Does a Divorce Take in Florida?
- 4 Professionals You Can Consult With During Your Divorce Proceedings
- Reentering the Workforce After Divorce
- Helping Your Child Adjust to a New School After Divorce
- How to Help a Child Feel Comfortable in Two Homes
- Keeping Domestic Violence Accusations from Affecting Divorce
- Is Dating During a Divorce Risky?
- Do I Need an Attorney for My Divorce?
- Why Divorce is Healthier for Your Family than an Unhappy Marriage
- What Happens to Pets in a Divorce?
- How a Divorce can Impact Retirement
- More Divorce Articles...