Divorce Articles - Florida Law
Do I Need an Attorney for My Divorce?
Posted on June 9, 2017
Many couples debate whether they need a divorce attorney when mediation is required by the courts. The attorneys at the Roberts Family Law Firm recommend, at minimum, consulting with an attorney about your options and what is best for your case no matter how well you and your ex-spouse get along. Here are a few examples to consider if you are debating whether you should hire an attorney for your divorce.
- If you have many complicated assets to divide up. If you’ve accumulated various expensive marital property, you should consider hiring a lawyer. You will want to have a lawyer present if you have complicated possessions you are dividing, like businesses, numerous vehicles, and real property.
- If your spouse is prone to lying. If your former spouse is known to lie, it could become difficult when it is your word versus theirs in a hearing or mediation session. If they are spreading false information about you, or lying in the courtroom, you need a lawyer on your side to protect your interests.
- If violence or abuse is ever involved. If any abuse is present, whether it’s related to children, substance abuse, sexual abuse, mental abuse, or any other form, you should always hire an attorney. Not only will the abused spouse not be able to negotiate properly for fear of manipulation or further abuse, but an attorney can help take the appropriate steps to protect you and your family.
- If your spouse has hired an attorney. Your spouse may choose to hire a lawyer to represent themselves at the last minute. We see attorneys appear at hearings and mediations with little to no notice to the unrepresented spouse. If your spouse decides to have representation, you should as well. It will be difficult to make your case against a family law attorney, even if you believe you have a clear and reasonable argument.
Trust Your Future with a Professional
If you are debating on whether you need to hire a divorce attorney, call and speak to the Roberts Family Law Firm in Orlando. We will discuss your options and your particular case to help you understand your options during divorce. The Roberts Family Law Firm offers experienced, aggressive lawyers who will fight for your interests. Not only is our team full of seasoned professionals who will bring the best representation, but we also genuinely care about you and your case. To learn more, or set up an initial consultation, call us today at 407-426-6999.
- How to Talk to Your Kids About Divorce
- How much does it cost to file for divorce? Do court costs and filing fees differ in contested and uncontested divorce cases?
- Must I hire an attorney to represent me in my divorce case?
- Can I relocate with my children out of state before or during a divorce?
- More Divorce FAQs...
- How Social Media Can Lead to Divorce
- 10 Questions You Should Ask your Divorce Attorney
- Temporary Orders in Divorce Cases
- How Long Does a Divorce Take in Florida?
- 4 Professionals You Can Consult With During Your Divorce Proceedings
- Reentering the Workforce After Divorce
- Helping Your Child Adjust to a New School After Divorce
- How to Help a Child Feel Comfortable in Two Homes
- Is Dating During a Divorce Risky?
- Do I Need an Attorney for My Divorce?
- Why Divorce is Healthier for Your Family than an Unhappy Marriage
- What Happens to Pets in a Divorce?
- How a Divorce can Impact Retirement
- More Divorce Articles...